Friday, July 17, 2009

Middle Child Syndrome

I really want to write this bit below, for somebody who is/was special to me in my childhood but I do not know whom to write to... So if you are reading this and you were a (special) part of my childhood, please feel free to presume that this is meant for you.... :)

"I dont need a day to express what I feel for you, I never try...I just do. You are a special person and will always remain so. Here are a few lines I'd like to say to you. Did I ever thank you enough? For all the times when I was small and insignificant, and I was running down the lane in front of Vyshakh, you watched out for me (this line is literal and figurative because for a long time I literally ran down the lane in front of our home because I had just watched this very, very bad movie called Tremors which had underground, prehistoric, giant sized worms that burst out of the ground and quite enjoyed chasing, mutilating and eating up people)!! Did I ever thank you enough? For the times you held my gaze and smiled on, not holding me back, but just watched me grow!! Did I ever thank you enough? For those silent words, you sent across to me whenever I was sad, happy or sublime. Did I ever thank you enough? For all those wonderful moments, when my friends were made to feel loved and respected no matter who they were!!Did I ever thank you enough? For guiding me, for lending me those little words of wisdom that still sees me through!! Did I ever thank you enough? For showing me that there’s more to life than what we see, that there’s laughter and happiness, and it is always within us. Did I ever thank you enough? For those beautiful cards, the ones you wrote so neatly, letters which showered me with love and affection and because of which I always knew that I was loved. You will always be dear to me and I shall forever love you!!"

Frankly, I think I am capable of writing better stuff but I have no idea what in the world I should be writing about - that's why the Love Poem above sucks. To be candid I was the second child amongst three, very notorious children. And it would not be wrong to say that I do suffer from the much famed and debated about "Middle Child Syndrome". Btw, MCS is described as "a medical condition which commonly affects children who were born with an equivalent number of older and younger siblings (i.e. the second of three, third of five, fourth of seven, etc). Middle children are often ignored by their parents who give more attention to the older and younger siblings. They are often compared or chastised for not being like their elder siblings or for not being a better example to their younger siblings. These factors usually create feelings of neglect, loneliness, and unimportance. " courtsey Wikianswers.com.

Regardless of whether this explanation is scientifically right or wrong, this is the best explanation I have come across, one which suits my state of mind at least :) So, now I hope that I have adequately whined about why the Letter to The Favorite Person In My Childhood (above) is not particularly addressed to anybody. I was just feeling nostalgic about my childhood and wanted to write something to The Older Figure Who Was My Role Model While I was Growing Up. So that's that... it's done... phew!! Hate sentimental writing but am compelled by some deep need to pretend that somebody was indeed (specially) watching out for me when I Grew Up :D

1 comment: